My Personal Battle With Technology

I hate modern technology. It's becoming frustrating. I like to be organized. And all these different new things seem to make you think you're going to be more organized. I just feel frustrated.
First, there was email. I could handle that. I could keep up with my friends, but it was sort of like how I am with the phone. I hate talking on the phone. Email is better in that I can do it whenever I want and don't have to be stuck talking to someone who is in a talkative mood and I am not.
Next, I started putting/ordering my pictures on Snapfish. Snapfish was so cool because I could post/share/print them in one sitting. That was fun and much easier than uploading pictures to an email.
Then came Facebook. Now, don't get me wrong. I like Facebook. It's so fun to be in touch with people everyday that I didn't know if I'd hear from or see them again. I have a few people in mind that I can't even express how glad I am to be in touch with. My life would be so different.
Here's my problem: Photos. I LOVE taking pictures. I've been looking at a friend's pictures and they bring up so much emotion. It's fantastic. Well, I started posting all my pictures on Facebook so everyone could see what's going on Donough Land (that should be a theme park, right?). That caused me to slack off on Snapfish. I almost NEVER email anyone anymore. I used to post all of my pictures on Snapfish. I haven't even had any pictures printed in I don't know how long. I wish you knew how frustrated I am just writing this.
Don't even get me started on scrapbooking! I picked it up for a while, but I hated having so many different prints of one photo and then it sitting around waiting for me to have time to "pretty it up" on paper. I realized that the photo itself is what I want to look beautiful. I want the photo to tell my story. My photo album is enough for me - when I get them printed (dang digital age). At least I worked that part out.
So then, a friend suggested I start blogging and that I would be "good at it". Sounds good. I like to share my thoughts with people who will listen. This is where I'm starting to get frustrated. There are too many online avenues to do "my thing". I get on Facebook to check and see what's new. Then, I'll upload my pictures because I've just had a spontaneous shoot with my kids. Then, someone who isn't on Facebook will want to see pictures. I'll get on Snapfish and print some or try to email some. Then, I'll feel like writing a note on Facebook about what I happen to be feeling that day. "Gee, I haven't 'blogged' lately". So, I'll copy and paste my note from Facebook to the blog. Then I wonder if I should post pictures on my blog. Here we go with the pictures again!
Again, I like to be organized. These things do not make me feel organized. There are too many things to be "updated". I feel like I have my pictures all over cyberspace. It makes me feel like I'm an inadequate member of my generation. As if the baskets of unfolded laundry and the dishwasher full of clean dishes waiting to be put away aren't enough to make me feel inadequate.
I think I should have been born into a simpler time. It just seems that the more technology we have, the less natural things are. I KNOW that's true. I often (probably every day) think of the days when women got up at the crack of dawn to start breakfast because there were not toaster waffles. When they knew how to knit and sew as necessity instead of hobby. Oh, for the those days when we wouldn't have been "stressed" out. When there were enough hours in the day. When we weren't so obsessed with things that would cause us to be overwhelmed.

Comments

  1. I've totally quit scrapbooking. Now, once a year, I will print out a blurb book (blurb.com) or snapfish photo book with my favorite pictures. Saves time and guilt trip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts